By John Greenler, 350 Wisconsin Executive Director
Inspiring, impactful, fast-paced — these are just a few of the ways I’d describe this first year as 350 Wisconsin’s Executive Director. I’ve seen up close the energy, resourcefulness, and passion of our volunteer leaders who bring a wide range of expertise to guide and carry out our mission. I’m more convinced than ever that 350 Wisconsin’s inclusive, grassroots approach to climate action is critical for achieving climate justice and securing a safe future for all.
I’m so proud of the way that we live up to our values every single day:
- Grassroots power. We mobilize people power to advance climate goals and pressure our government and business leaders to take bold action. We provide leadership opportunities and training on effective communication, advocacy, policy analysis, and civil disobedience.
- Climate justice. We center all of our work in climate justice because true, meaningful, and lasting change will only be achieved if built upon a foundation of equity and justice for impacted communities.
- Collaboration. We work in coalition with allies to build power and trust across diverse groups and networks, nationally, statewide, and locally.
- Respect for natural systems. We know that holistically protecting ecosystems and considering impacts on all forms of life is essential to solving the climate crisis. We ground our work in rigorous, peer-reviewed science and incorporate the knowledge and wisdom of Indigenous communities and other cultures.
- Visionary thinking. We believe society must embrace new frameworks for envisioning deep and durable solutions — innovation and the willingness to challenge deeply-held beliefs and assumptions are needed to transform existing systems.
The next few years are critical if we’re to keep climate change below 1.5 degrees Celsius and avoid the worst impacts. 350 Wisconsin is all-in on this fight and we’re so fortunate to have you with us!
Warm wishes to you and your loved ones in the new year!